Nan Map See Map
For centuries Nan was an independent kingdom but, due to its remoteness, had few connections to the other kingdoms. The first kingdom around the city Mueang Pua (also known as Varanagara) was created in the late 13th century. Its rulers, the Phukha dynasty, were related to the founders of Vientiane, however it became associated with the Sukhothai kingdom as it was easier to reach from the south than from the east or west. In the 14th century the capital was moved to its present location at Nan.
In the 15th century, when Sukhothai declined in power, it became vassal of the kingdom of Lannathai. In 1443 King Kaen Thao of Nan plotted to capture neighboring Phayao by asking King Tilokaraj to help him fight against Vietnamese troops attacking Nan, even though there was no such threat. Kaen Thao killed the king of Phayao, however the troops of Tilokaraj then attacked Nan itself, and captured it in 1449.
When Lannathai was under Burmese rule, Nan tried to liberate itself many times without success, which finally led to direct Burmese rule of Nan in 1714. In 1788 the Burmese rulers were finally driven out. Nan had to then accept new rulers from Siam. In 1893 after the Paknam crisis Siam had to give a big part of eastern Nan to French Indochina. In 1899 mueang Nan became part of the circle (Monthon) Tawan Tok Chiang Nuea (northwestern circle). In 1916 the northwestern circle was split and Nan was assigned into the circle Maharat. When the circles were abolished in 1932, the provinces including Nan became top-level subdivisions of Siam.
Before the early 1980s, bandits as well as People’s Liberation Army of Thailand (PLAT) guerrillas were a big problem in the province, usually destroying highway construction overnight. With the help of the army and the more stable political system the province improved significantly, but is still a very rural and remote area.
Wat Phra That Chae Haeng.
The holy sanctuary located on the east side of the river. The area is a center of Nan. After moving from Pua town. Wat Phra That Chae Haeng built in the XVI politics. (Ruler of Nan. BC 1869-1902) is enshrined Maha Buddha’s relics will seven he and his constellation. That will be received by Dlamini Lithai. When the time came to town to help build the temple XVI forgiven. (Wild Mango Province today) in the year.. 1897.
That the Lord is the pagoda bells. The format of Phra That Chae Haeng is assumed to be influenced by the pagoda Haripunjaya. Surrounding the overlaid with gold Django (Tagdakbwb brass, copper) leading up to the Lord a serpent. Pediment above the entrance to the temple is a stucco Nacekigiw. This is the uniqueness of Nan fine art.
Phra That Chae Haeng as relics of the Year of the Rabbit. Lanna people believe If you have traveled to “Shoo element” or worship the birth year will be great virtue. Tourists can visit Wat Phra That Chae Haeng every day between the hours of 06.00-18.00.
From the center of the bridge over the river. Along Highway 1168 Nan – Charim about 3 km. Tel: 0 5475 1846.
Si Nan National Park. (Doi Pha always a star and lion head).
Sri Nan National Park covers the areas of Noi Na Muen district of Nan Wiang Sa district covers the area along the two banks of the Nan River. Ends at the reservoir dam. The forest is rich woods. Mountains complex Posing in a north – south. A watershed The Nan River Which is a major source of water in the province. There are several important species. And the habitats of wildlife. Natural features With beautiful scenery, including Pillar and ground tiger pen Pak Nai Kaeng Luang, Doi Pha Chu viewpoint. Overlooking the Nan River Scenic Mountain draws stars and rock lion head. An area of 640,237.50 hectares or 1024.38 square kilometers.
The terrain is mountainous complex His portrait posing in a north – south mountain town is transformed Doi Doi Khun Huai energetic. Khun Huai Ya Sai and Doi Khun Huai Luang peak energetic. Which lies to the north of the tallest with a height of 1234 meters above sea level. The watershed of the river. Most flows from north to south. Water found the bodies of water. Creek, a major tributary rivers except for the River Kha Ning, there are two small creek beds.
Rafting Wow. (National Charim)
Nam Wa River originates from the mountains around the village Wa District Charim as to its confluence with the Nan River at Wiang Sa district inhabitants, known as the “sob” The total distance of 300 kilometers, runs through the national park in the South, including three options. Khun Nan National Park Doi Phu Kha National Park And National Charim
Khun Nan National Park.
In National Forest Doi Phu Kha Pa and Phu Pha Daeng District Bo Dong Phaya salt under cover mountain ranges, including the Phu Fah. Wa less fattening Mountains Wa Central Mountains And mountains with peaks ghost ghost fable fable Dong Phaya is the highest peak of around 1,745 meters above sea level. And falls within the park There is water all year round
Attractions in the park.
Falls Roller Pan Moo 1, Ban Sa Pan Dong Phaya away from the park one kilometer on Highway 1081, turn right and go about 2 kilometers to the waterfall 3 floors with water throughout the tropical forest complete with away from the District. Salt 10 kilometers conveniently accessible by car. Then went on for 700-800 meters.
Ban Huay Bong district fifth among 14 South Salt Pond. Waterfall is a medium class 1, 2, 3 height of 8, 12 and 50 meters, respectively, with water all year round and 3 (top red cliff) falls into the beautiful staircases.
The park lodges and camping ground to serve tourists. Contact reservations Khun Nan National Park Dong Phaya Salt Nan District 55 220 Tel. 08 1960 5507.
The bus trip from Muang Nan. Cable car ride Nan – Pua Then the car Pua – salt. To the district of salt Then the bus salt – Commemoration. Through car park Then walk for 500 meters Car: From the junction of salt. Turn left onto Highway 1081, about five kilometers into the park is right next to a dirt road 500 meters away from the point of view of the park for about two kilometers.
Sao Din Na Noi (Chom Hom) long.
Sao Din Na Noi is a pillar of the soil that looks like a quaint “goat ghost town” of Phrae. From geological evidence Sao Din Na Noi was caused by seismic activity in the late Terry Shea Marie (late tertian) attributed to the erosion of natural water and wind. Geologists assume that the age of 10,000-30,000 years ago, it used to be before the seabed. The evidence is the discovery of ancient stone bracelet and ax here. (Now kept at the National Museum nan) suggests that this area may have a habitat of the Old Stone Age humans in the past.